Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lack of Black


Having spent the weekend in Paris (a brief family orientated visit) I have noticed one integral difference between the clothing of English women and French women: Black. French women seem to wear a lot of black, and they manage to do it extremely tastefully (considering that the most black I see around here is on Goths and Emos). It gives them an air of mystery, a 'je ne sais quoi', which is something I think that we English, as a whole, lack. I've realised I have an extreme lack of black in my wardrobe, and on a day to day basis I almost never wear any black.

This is not just some random idea - even the English and French issues of Vogue reflect this difference: the March edition of English Vogue I picked up has a primarily light and white theme to it, the font on the cover is white, the model is wearing white - whereas the February edition of French Vogue I bought is primarily dark, with black font on the cover, and the model is wearing black.

So, I vow now that I will try to wear more black, and purchase some more black items to feed my starved wardrobe. Watch this space!

No comments: